Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Letcombe Regis to Streatley: Greater Ridgeway Day 12

Misty vistas along the Ridgeway was the theme for the day.

Waking up cocooned in the cosy warmth of my quilt beneath the cottage's black rafters I peeped out of the window. Below the thatched eaves of my bedroom at the Quince Bed & Breakfast the day looked sunny with blue skies. An excellent breakfast with a selection of fresh berries provided fuel for climbing out of the village on an icy road. As I left the village I could see cloud flowing over the higher ground and once I reached the Ridgeway I was surrounded by its white embrace. The mist continued for most of my walk so there were no long views today. Instead, trees and bushes emerged, slowly gaining a grey solidity as I walked towards them. The only historic site today was a monument to a certain Lord Wantage. A thin, column with a cross on the top and biblical inscriptions at the base. I had been passing "gallops" and other horse related establishments but curiously I saw very few horses. There were however many warning signs, rural crimes seemed to be a concern. 



After some hours among the mist I began descending towards Streatley, a town on the west bank of the River Thames, its sister town of Goring was on the east bank where I managed to buy tea and chocolate cake four minutes after the cafĂ© should have closed. Tonight I am sleeping at the Streatley YHA (Youth Hostel Association) for the first of two nights as I am planning a rest day tomorrow. 

Looking down towards the valley of the Thames.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greater Ridgeway also known as the Great Chalk Way: Some Comments

The Greater Ridgeway Way crosses England from Lyme Regis on the south west coast of England to Hunstanton on the east coast. Four trails co...