Thursday, February 10, 2022

Stiffkey to Cley-next-the-Sea: Greater Ridgeway and Norfolk Coast Path Day 35

A short walk today and a cold boat trip to see the seals.

Leaving Stiffkey I continued between the salt marsh and farmland. High tides had swept a thick "mattress" of old vegetation, straw and seeds, onto the path in places, elsewhere it was muddy, people making detours up a bank to avoid getting their trousers dirty. On the mud of a creek, curling beside the trail, I was pleased to spot a redshank probing the mud. I had provisionally identified this bird before but this was the first time I had come close enough to see its orange legs.

Creek by Morsten Quay

Reaching Morsten quay I noticed a sign for seal tours. Last night I had Googled these trips but could find none scheduled. However, John Bean's tours was running one 30 minutes after I arrived. As today's hike was a mere 11 kilometres I had plenty of time and thought a boat trip would allow me to see the area from another viewpoint. Although not the best time of year to see seals in this area, we were fortunate. We saw a small group of grey seals, non-breeding females and a few males, lying on the beach on the north side of Blakeney Point. Our captain told us the breeding females head north at this time of year. The point itself is an attractive location for seals as it is remote from people. It is also growing west across the mouth of the natural harbour behind the point at a rate of two metres a year due to long shore drift. By the time we were returning back to Morsten quay I was getting decidedly cold due to the icy wind.

Grey seals on Blakeney Point.

A couple of kilometres further along the coast path and I was at Blakeney, a charming town with a narrow street of old houses. I warmed up in a bakery over a coffee and gin & bergamot cupcake.
After a few more kilometres of walking on top of the embankment built to keep seawater out, reeds each side, I was in Cley-next-the-Sea. A little further and I was at my Bed & Breakfast. There was some delay obtaining my room due to water related issues so I relaxed with a pint of "Ghost Ship".

Cley-next-the-Sea.

1 comment:

  1. Been reading your blog avidly. Lots of questions when you're home!

    ReplyDelete

Greater Ridgeway also known as the Great Chalk Way: Some Comments

The Greater Ridgeway Way crosses England from Lyme Regis on the south west coast of England to Hunstanton on the east coast. Four trails co...