Friday, January 7, 2022

Greater Ridgeway and its challenges for me

The Greater Ridgeway is a 363 mile (581 kilometre) hike across England from Lyme Regis in the south west to Hunstanton in the east. Mainly following the ridge of chalk that extends across the country, it is believed to be a route used since stone age times, passing many hill forts and tumuli. Rather than being treated as one trail it is waymarked as four separate paths: the Wessex Ridgeway, the Ridgeway National Trail, the Icknield Way and Peddars Way. I hope to continue onto The Norfolk Coast Path.

New variants have resulted in continuing restrictions associated with the Coronavirus pandemic. Unpredictable changes in requirements for international travel and the associated hassle made me look for a track that was entirely within Britain. As I was planning to walk in January and February, the south of the country with its milder climate was more attractive. High winds that I have encountered on sea cliffs at this time of year, made me choose an inland route. In addition, problems with my knee made excessive amounts of climbing over snow and pathless territory undesirable, so the Greater Ridgway seemed a good choice. Having walked from the south to the north of England on my trek from Land's End to John o'Groats last year, walking across England from west to east seemed fitting for my next walk.

My left knee became a problem when I was walking from Land's End to John o'Groats in 2020. Medical examination showed it caused by arthritis and an arthroscopy (knee operation) ten years earlier which reduced the joint space on the inside of my knee joint. While there is low grade pain associated with walking, there are also problem when not walking. After sitting or lying down, getting up and walking around can be difficult. I prefer walking so here goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Greater Ridgeway also known as the Great Chalk Way: Some Comments

The Greater Ridgeway Way crosses England from Lyme Regis on the south west coast of England to Hunstanton on the east coast. Four trails co...